Thursday, April 07, 2011

Simple test to assess critical thinking skills

You can use this test to calibrate anyone; not just your representatives in government.

Calibration:

1. Ask how they would (or did) vote, on this:

"Congress accepts the scientific findings of the Environmental Protection Agency that climate change is occurring, is caused largely by human activities, and poses significant risks for public health and welfare." (link)
(Added Apr 15: Names of US Congressmembers who deny climate change, so their grandchildren can find them)


2. Ask if they see any pattern, to the colors in this image:
(are the colors randomly distributed, or do they change, from one side to the other?)

Education:

Refer them to David Brin (then Skeptical Science).

And finally, assess, based on how they've responded to this information.

3 comments:

Don Pelton said...

Even though I'm colorblind, I can see the change.

Anna Haynes said...

I've just now sent a "Contact Tom McClintock" request asking if he can see it.

(Russ Steele is not willing to answer the question, but Russ does not represent me in Congress, either.)

Anna Haynes said...

(7 minutes later)
My, but Tom's prompt. His reading comprehension is at zero, but he *is* prompt; answering,

"Thank you for writing. I appreciate hearing from you.

Members of Congress study, debate, and ultimately vote on a wide range of issues on a daily basis. Your thoughts help me better represent you throughout this process. I hope you will continue to reach out in the future when there are other issues you would like to bring to my attention.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments. I look forward to being in touch."

I look forward to being in touch, too; to see if Tom's hearing works better than his eyesight.

But since "what does the image show?" relies on eyesight, this new information may not bode well...